The Child’s Education Record
An education record is created for each child for the following three reasons:
- to communicate with parents about their child’s development;
- to support the early detection of any difficulties, in keeping with the early intervention (Agir tôt) approach;
- to make transitions easier, including the transition to the school system.
Educational Childcare Regulation in fact stipulates that:
- the education record must include, among other things, periodic portraits of the child’s development in the four areas of development: physical and motor, cognitive, language, social and emotional;
- each year, a periodic portrait must be prepared in November and May, and be sent to the parent(s) by no later than December 15 and June 15;
- childcare providers must also make themselves available to parents who request a meeting about the portrait.
A transitional measure has been put in place to give childcare providers the time they need to make these changes: the first periodic portrait must be completed in May 2020.
Top of page