Ministère de la Famille
Vous êtes ici Liste d'outils

Non-recognized Childcare

In Québec, there are people and organizations who do not need to be recognized to provide childcare services. These people or organizations are not required to hold a permit issued by the Ministère de la Famille or to be recognized as a home childcare provider by an accredited home childcare coordinating office.

Home Childcare

Subject to certain conditions, a natural person may offer childcare services in a private residence without having to be recognized by a home childcare coordinating office. The conditions to be respected are as follows:

  1. Be a natural person who is an own-account worker.

    The parents' contribution should not be paid to a legal person, but rather directly to the person providing the childcare services. This person needs to provide the childcare services him/herself.
  2. Provide childcare in a private residence where such childcare is not already being provided.

    A private residence is a place where people ordinarily live.
  3. Receive a maximum of six children, with no more than two being under the age of 18 months. If they are present and under the age of nine, the person's children and children who ordinarily live with him/her are included in this calculation.

    Exceptions may apply. Consult the Ministère de la Famille (Ministère) website.
  4. Hold an attestation establishing that no impediment exists, issued by a Québec police force or the Ministère, for him/herself and each adult living in the residence where the childcare services are provided.

    A copy of these attestations must be given to you when your child starts attending and with every update.
  5. Hold a certificate not older than three years, attesting to the successful completion of an early childhood first aid course of a minimum of eight hours, including a section on the management of severe allergic reactions, or a certificate attesting to the completion of a refresher course of a minimum of six hours updating the knowledge acquired during an early childhood first aid course.

    A copy of this certificate must be given to you when your child starts attending and with every update.
  6. Be covered by a civil liability insurance policy of at least $1,000,000 per claim with coverage extending to the person’s activities as a childcare provider.

    A proof of insurance must be given to you when your child starts attending and with every update.
  7. For each child receiving childcare, have one of the parents sign the notice, in the form prescribed by the Ministère.

    Once signed, you need to be given this notice.
  8. Not having been convicted of inappropriate attitudes or practices, or more than two years have elapsed since such a conviction.

    It is also prohibited for the person to apply degrading or abusive measures, use exaggerated punishment, denigration or threats, or employ abusive or disparaging language that could humiliate or frighten a child or undermine the child’s dignity or self-esteem.

Persons who provided childcare services to a maximum of 6 children as of May 1, 2018, have until September 1, 2019, to comply with the conditions.

In a community organization

A public or community organization may offer temporary childcare services in a complementary or accessory manner to its primary activities, whether in the context of its mission or as part of a specific activity involving parents or children.

In a nursery school

A person who, on October 25, 2005, operated a nursery school, can offer educational childcare services in a facility that receives, on a regular basis, for periods not exceeding four hours a day and in a stable group, at least 7 children between 2 and 5 years old, who are offered activities over a fixed period.

In a day camp or vacation camp

Any person who operates a day camp or vacation camp and receives children during periods outside the school calendar year.

In childcare at school

A school board or a private educational institution that provides childcare at school, within the meaning of the Education Act or the Act respecting private education. Otherwise, the childcare services offered are governed by the Educational Childcare Act.


Although they do not have a permit issued by the Ministère de la Famille or are not recognized by a home childcare coordinating office, these childcare services are not illegal. If they comply with the provisions of the Educational Childcare Act that apply to their situation, they can operate a childcare service legally.

If you need more information or have any doubts regarding the legality of the childcare service your child attends, you may contact the Service des renseignements du Ministère.

Useful document

Top of page

Last modified date :
April 24, 2019