Ministère de la Famille
Vous êtes ici Liste d'outils

Non-recognized Childcare Services

In Quebec, some persons and organizations do not need to have official recognition to provide childcare services. These organizations or persons are not required to hold a permit issued by the Ministère de la Famille or official recognition from a home childcare coordinating office.

In a family setting

Subject to compliance with certain conditions, a natural person may provide childcare services in a private residence without recognition issued by a home childcare coordinating office. If you match these criteria, please consult the page Non-recognized persons providing childcare services in a family setting.

In a community organization

A public or community organization may provide temporary childcare services as a complement or addition to its main activities, in the context of its overall mandate or during a specific activity with parents or children.

In a nursery school

A person who, on October 25, 2005, was operating a nursery school may provide educational childcare services, on a regular basis for periods not exceeding four hours a day, to predetermine groups of at least seven children 2 to 5 years of age to whom activities are offered according to a fixed schedule.

In a day camp or vacation camp

Any person operating a day or vacation camp and providing childcare services outside of the school calendar.

In-school childcare

A school board or a private educational institution that provides childcare at school under the Education Act or the Act Respecting Private Education. Otherwise, the provision of childcare services is governed by the Educational Childcare Act.


Although they operate without a permit issued by the Ministère de la Famille and are not recognized by a coordinating office, these childcare services are not illegal. If they comply with the provisions of the Educational Childcare Act that apply to their situation, they may legally operate a daycare service.

If you need more information or if you have any doubts regarding the legality of the childcare service that your child attends, you may contact the information service of the Ministère.

Top of page

Last modified date :
July 18, 2018